Thursday, June 6, 2013

Well, that sucked

Blood work came back.  Either what I'm doing isn't working OR 4 weeks of it wasn't enough to make a difference.

My LDL?  UP six points.  My Vitamin D?  DOWN one point.  My total cholesterol?  UP eight points?

On the bright side (pfft) my HDL was up three points, and my A1c is still well below 6%.

What a downer.  What a sad thing.  So, of course, I've had a cupcake, a dark chocolate bar, and two diet ice cream sandwiches.  Because that's what you do when you've been spectacularly "good" for a month and it hasn't helped at all.  You eat.

To my credit, I did still work out, and, as pig outs go, that's not much of one.  That's something, right?

So, I'm back on tomorrow.  Doctor says she wants to talk to me for thirty minutes about diet and medications.

That's a NO.  We already talked about those things, I'm already eating what she says I should, not eating what she says I shouldn't, and taking all the supplements she says I need.  This is a matter of my weight being too high.  Everything I've read says that getting down to a reasonable weight and BMI will pull my numbers into a better range.  So that's what I need to do.

That's what I AM doing.

I won't go in just so I can tell her NO on the statins and listen to her tell me all the stuff we already talked about.  I'll see her in six months.

Period.

Hopefully, my numbers will be better.  I'm going to try to be happy about the increased HDL.  That's a bigger increase than a statin would have given me.  That's something, right?

Blah.

After asking around, I feel a little better.  A lot of folks who've made changes like this needed more than a month or two to see positive differences, and a lot of them saw their LDL go UP before it went down.  So I'll stick with it.

Still feeling sort of BLAH, though.

1 comment:

  1. You know what you are eating better than anyone else. Keep it as healthy as you can. Number are a good motivation, but you have to live.

    ReplyDelete